Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Engagement

This is old news to a lot of people, but since I haven't blogged it yet and this is a new blog I thought I would post a little sumthin' sumthin' about it.

I got engaged in March to my best bud of 4 (ish) years (Leslie, you are still my bestest best bud though). On my birthday actually. Normally I would advise against proposing on someones birthday since it can impart a gimmicky vibe, but this was pretty good timing. And it's easy to remember when we got engaged!

I came home from work on Friday in a really poopy mood. I had a few people cut me off in traffic and that just fuels my already simmering road rage. My then-boyfriend, Steve was laying on the couch. At that time he was still working second shift at his job so he had Fridays off. As I plopped down the couch with a grumble he asked me if I wanted to turn on the new floor lamp. Some back story here: I bought a floor lamp off of eBay and Steve and I took it apart, painted it and bought a new glass shade for it (I'll post pics of the process later). He had finished putting it together and wanted me to turn it on. So I walked into the spare bedroom and my first reaction to him was "Hey, where is the shade?" He was leaning on the door frame and replied, "Just turn it on." I reached to turn the little knob and lo and behold something shiny is hanging from it. Before I pick it up, I say, "What's this?". I knew what it was, but it just didn't sink in. I pick it up and look back at him and ask, "Are you serious?"

Yeah, not the best words, but it really took me by surprise. He didn't get on one knee and that's exactly the way I wanted it. I'm also glad he didn't do it in a restaurant or other public place. He asked and I said yes.

Afterwards we went out to dinner at a nice restaurant and I must have been glowing, looking at my ring too much or maybe both because at the end of dinner the server brought us a piece of cheesecake with a single lit candle in it. "We think you guys just got engaged!" It was a really pleasant surprise. I then began deviously thinking of all the other free dessert opportunities I could get. Alas, no other restaurant has given in to the shiny diamond ring that I flashed everywhere saying "free cheeeeeesecake!" under my breath.


Pikachu, the ring bearer

Stay tuned to wedding plans! I'm already head first into this planning thing, and don't worry I don't think I'm a bridezilla or one of those squealy girls who get all worked up about their "big daaaaayyyy!" At least I don't think so.

1 comment:

Marianne said...

You don't strike me as Bridezilla at all!
Who could even miss that bling? I like that restaurant already and I've never even been there...that's service!